Thursday, April 1, 2010

This amazing piece of literature started it all...



Diet For a New America 
How Your Food Choices Affect Your Health, Happiness, and the Future of Life on Earth 

by John Robbins, 1987, 1998

It stood out.  Only one title, among hundreds, on those heavily crowded campus library shelves. Still, it caught my eye.  So in late 2002, on one such library visit, I acquired it. I'd been interested in the topic of healthy living for many years, so picking up a book like this was fairly routine.  But the content of this selection was far from routine. In fact, I couldn't put it down! It was beautiful and horrific, all at the same time. I wish I could say that upon reading nearly half the book in one sitting, I immediately took action. But for whatever reason, I didn't feel prepared to make the vegan commitment. I think it all seemed too overwhelming at the time, living away from home, attending Dixie State College. Nevertheless, the book resonated within me to such a degree that I bought my own copy.

Years later, in 2006, I revisited "Diet For a New America" a second time. Again, I quickly devoured it, cover to cover. Yet before I ever finished, in my heart, I was eager to change--there was simply no way I could ignore the ugly truth any longer. I was finally ready! I immediately turned back to page one and read the book through a third time.  But during this round, I read aloud to my consenting husband, Jordan. He, too, was shocked and disturbed and felt compelled to change. He told me that what made his decision clear was discovering the true story about fuzzy little boy-baby chicks, tied up in sacks and wantonly thrown away, alive...

It has now been four years since that definitive April 2006 and we have never regretted our choice to live vegan--not for a moment! And unlike I had previously worried, it isn't a hard lifestyle to live after all! There's support and open arms for animal-concerned individuals at every turn. What a relief!  Except that it makes me sad that I didn't choose compassion all those years earlier.

I know I've gone on a tangent, but "Diet For a New America" is an amazing piece of literature--a wonderful book with the power to change the course of a life.  It certainly played a pivotal role in mine!  Author, John Robbins' concern for the welfare of farm animals, human health, and environmental responsibility is absolutely contagious! This title will always have a special place in my heart for setting me, and my husband, onto a path of greater peace, kindness, wholeness, and enlightenment. I feel so thankful...

"Happy Vegan Anniversary!  Four Great Years and Still Going Strong!"

10 comments:

Mandiee said...

Happy Veganversary! I'm a new vegan but I definitely see veganism as a life-style choice. I loved reading about you decision to go vegan and the book that started it all. Seems like I have a new book on my to-read list. Thanks!

Have a lovely day!
xox

Keri - I Eat Trees said...

Happy Vegan Anniversary!! I love hearing/reading about what pushed people to make a change! :)

dirtyduck said...

def a congrats is in order! four years is a long time! i think that there is some pivitol point in every vegetarians life like this,and i LOVED hearing(reading) about yours

Michal said...

Congratulations on four years, and I wish you many many more. :)

Anonymous said...

Happy 4 years! Good for you!

HiHoRosie said...

Congrats on your vegan anniversary!

Raw Oz Gal said...

Yup, yup, yup! Love this book! Glad you do too. (wish it was required reading on school curricula!)

Raw Oz Gal said...

Yup, yup, yup! Love this book! Glad you do too. (wish it was required reading on school curricula!)

Tamra said...

You're a great model for the rest of us!!! Thanks for sharing Valerie!!!

Vegan Valerie said...

Thank you, blogging pals and dear cousin Tamart, for all your congrats and veganversary wishes! Your comments warmed my heart!

And I hear ya', Raw Oz Gal! I too would love to see this book become required reading in the schools. How would we go about making that happen?